Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Improv Blocks for June

Hello friends!

I am so slow getting myself out the door this month.  My grandpa got sick at the very end of May and passed away last weekend.  We are all happy he is with his sweetheart and so glad he is out of his sick body.  But I'm late.  So sorry.

improv quilt


I'm loving pink, turquoise, and yellow right now.  And apparently I kind of have a thing for blender prints..... because everything I have in these colors is either tone on tone or tone on white, smallish prints. HA! I'm sending each of you a little bundle, with a bit of Kona snow, to make me an improv block
 



 I don't much care what size they are.  I am going to put these twelve together to make a throw size quilt for myself, so at least 12 or 14 inches in one direction.  I don't care if they are square or rectangle.  I'm sure they'll all go together in the end with a little improv sashing if need be.

The only thing I ask is that the lines are either horizontal or vertical to keep things consistent. So, no wonky blocks.... well, not too wonky anyway. :)




What size quilt block do you want your bee partners to make? (Give finished and unfinished measurements, just to be sure.)  I don't care what size the finished block is, rectangle or square, but on the bigger side... 12-14 ish inches in at least one direction.

Can your partners use any of his/her own stash fabric to use in your quilt block? If so, are there any limitations?   Yes!  As long as it fits in with the overall color sheme, and is a blender type print or a solid, feel free to add something from your own stash. 

poppyprint

Does your partners have to use at least a little bit of every fabric you send or can your partners decide? You decide, but I'd love to have at least one pink, yellow, and blue in each block.  And please use or send back all of this pink one.  It was a gift from my friend Krista (Poppyprint) and it is a handdyed and stamped fabric.  She prints her own fabric from poppy seed pods that grow in her garden.  It's a special one, but I only had a little bit left.  So if you don't use it, please send that one back. :) 

Do you have a general theme or is it up to your partners to decide? Are there any specific themes that you do NOT want in your quilt block? Likes/dislikes?  General theme is improv blocks, I do ask that there aren't any diagonal lines in the blocks, all horizontal or vertical seams please.
If your partners are super motivated and are able to make two blocks out of the fabric you send, would you accept more than one block from your partners? Yes! Or just keep adding to the first block and make it a little bigger.  Either one is fine with me.
 
Do you want your partners to return any leftover larger size scraps to you when they return the completed blocks or can they keep them for their own scrap stash? If there is something you absolutely love feel free to keep it, but if you don't think you'll use it send it back and I'll use the scraps to help me sash the blocks together.  

I'm really excited to see what comes back, and I can't wait to get this all put together!  I think it's going to be really fun, and totally different than anything I've done before.  Thank you all for helping me make this idea come to life!

erika
pinksuedeshoe 


Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Oh fun fun fun!! I cant wait to get started. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo! This is going to be so fun. And your color/fabric picks are fab. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh...this really looks like fun! I can't wait to start sewing...and I agree with Amy...your colors are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never done improv. This should be so interesting and new and different!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you are pushing me out of my box or is that blocks? I think it's a good thing and I am looking forward to try a little improv. I have a shortage of solid fabrics... I am going to have to do some exploring there also!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just gone through the fabrics you sent and I love the colors. I've never made improv blocks before. Yeah for new adventures!

    ReplyDelete