Saturday, October 15, 2016

September Spotlight Cynthia Horst

Let’s get to know Cynthia!

I was born in Val D’or, Quebec, and grew up on the south shore of Montreal.  My parents sent me to a public girl’s French Catholic school in Grade 1.  The nuns didn’t know a word of English and my family and I didn’t know a word of French.  The mother superior accepted me to the school because my last name was Kennedy and she through her arms up in the air and said, “I love that man!”. (meaning President John F. Kennedy)  I didn’t even know how to ask “Can I go to the bathroom?” in French.  Needless to say……           Our adult children.  As of two weeks ago, they are all married!

I grew up bilingual and was able to get lots of good jobs as a teenager and young adult.I’ve been sewing since I took Home Ec in Grade 6.  I used to sew my dresses for the school dances, and would sew gifts for my family as well.  I took Fashion Design and Merchandising at Ryerson Polytechnical University in Toronto. I married my husband in 1980 and moved to Provo, Utah.  What a culture shock that was!  Beautiful, huge mountains but hardly any trees.  We left Provo and moved to Arkansas for 7 years, the Florida panhandle (that’s where my husband grew up) for 12 years, Calgary, Alberta for 8 months, St. George, Utah for 1 year, South Jordan, Utah for 9 years, Ocala, Florida for 2 years, and we’ve lived in Rocklin, California now, for over 5 years.  We are professional movers!!!  Amidst the first several moves, we had 6 beautiful and wonderful children, 3 girls and 3 boys.I have been a breast cancer survivor for 14 years.  While I was recovering, my very good friend taught me how to quilt.  I had such a fun time, quilting with friends.  I belonged to many quilting groups, including the block of the month at Quilts, Etc. in Sandy, Utah.  

When I moved to Ocala, I became a lone quilter.  I taught lots of ladies how to quilt, but never belonged to a group.  I had 2 grandchildren when we moved there.  I would make each baby a quilt, a wall hanging, and an heirloom blessing gown with a smocked bonnet.  The children ran out of wall space, so I gave up making the wall quilts.Eight months after we moved to California, my youngest son left for his 2 year church mission to Brazil. I was pretty lonely, so I started a blog (http://dreamquiltcreate.blogspot.com)and signed up for Instagram.  

My life has been busier than ever!  I travel to Utah every 6 weeks or so to visit my children and grandchildren, and have made lots of quilting friends through my blog and Instagram. 

Two Christmases ago, my husband surprised me with a beautiful sewing room and sewing machine.  He supports my quilting habit and really spoils me :)

Favorite movie:  I like romantic comedies such as Return to Me, 17 Dresses, Chocolat, etc.  I must mention my all time favorite, Anne of Green Gables.  I have been to every inch of that island.  Both my parents were born and raised in Prince Edward Island.  Growing up, we would visit there, almost every summer.  Most of my extended family lives there too!  One set of grandparents lived on the red seashore.  We would pick raspberries, have clam bakes, eat lobster, and chase each other around in the tall grass.  I have so many fond memories of that area, so yes, I’m an Anne fan!!!



I am a self confessed chocolaholic!!!  

I am also a foodie.  I love farm to table restaurants and I love cooking at home.  It’s not as fun as it used to be though, since my husband and I are empty nesters. I love going to gourmet style grocery stores and discovering different types of restaurants.  I only live a 2 hour drive from San Francisco.  I have discovered that it is an eater’s paradise!  I’ve found lots of great “foodie” restaurants there.
I think that’s about it for me, I really enjoy being in this quilting bee.  


Pin It!

3 comments: