Monday, May 30, 2016

Nedra's Spotlight

Nedra Sorensen.PNGLet’s get to know Nedra!


I am the youngest of 3 children, raised just South of San Francisco in San Jose, California (as in Do You Know The Way?).  The 1960’s and early 1970’s were an interesting time in the Bay Area.  Haight Ashbury, Hippies and drugs were part of my culture.  My sister joined a Commune.  I joined the Mormon Church (best decision ever!)
After High School I moved to Utah, where I eventually met my husband.  We have been married 37 years, have 5 children, 3 grandchildren, with #4 due in a few weeks.  We moved to Arizona a few years ago to be near our two oldest daughters and grandchildren.  (in reality it was mostly those cute grandkids!  I  am in love!)

Nedra Virts age 3.PNG
I started quilting when our oldest daughter went off to college, and there was finally a spare bedroom to set up a sewing machine. I’ve been addicted ever since.  I’m also addicted to working on my Family History, but that is another story for another day.  I hosted my own Quilt Blog for 8 years, started and published a few Quilt Blogs for other companies, and now enjoy communicating through Instagram.
I’ve worked in the Quilt Industry in several capacities:  Quilt Stores, taught quilt classes, worked for Superior Threads, and was a Sales Manager for a small company.  I even gave pattern designing a try.  Currently I travel from time to time for a few Quilt Companies, demoing their products, or helping out in their booths at Quilt Conventions and Shows.  

I feel fortunate to experience the best of two worlds.  I love to travel, meet people, and follow the quilting trends bursting forth at Shows.  I feel kind of like a kid in a candy store when I see the booths go up like a mini city, and always find it exciting to view new patterns, products and quilts.

Demoing.png
My tastes in fabrics have definitely changed over the years.  I am a member of the Phoenix Modern Quilt Guild, although I’m still am drawn to Vintage and traditional.

My question for you:  what is your favorite style of Quilts?

Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. So fun to read this, Nedra!

    I'm like you...I like every style of quilt...and almost all styles of fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nedra - I followed your blog for years and loved it. My favorites tend toward the traditional blocks but using more modern fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your mini auto-biography Nedra! I love basket blocks the best I think. But as long as I'm sewing... it doesn't matter because variety is part of the fun!

    ReplyDelete