Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Blocks & Intros

I'm really excited to be part of the Bees Knees Quilt Group and just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Kim Walus. I've been sewing for 40 years now and I made my first quilt when I was 18 years old. I learned to sew in 8th & 9th Grade. I had an Amazing Home Economics Teacher and later on when I moved to Highland, Utah in 1998 I met her once again. Our older children and her younger children became friends. After attending my sewing classes at school I soon realized that my mom didn't know how to sew but she was an amazing nurse and I'm grateful for her love and support of my passion for sewing.

When I started quilting I realized that I didn't have any family members or ancestors who had ever quilted or so I thought. It was just last year while looking through a few of my dad's photo albums that I happened to find a picture of my Great Grandmother holding a quilt along with a group of women!! It's my one and only claim to having a Quilting Ancestor. I was really disappointed to hear that my dad couldn't tell me anything about her quilting life. 


My Great Grandmother ~ Alice Watkins Williams
(top left corner)


Sometimes, I feel like I missed out on the family tradition of Quilting that runs in many families but I know that I can be a quilting pioneer in my own family in making an effort to create a love for handmade things. I'm teaching my own daughters and others how to sew and make their own quilts!! It's been an amazing journey thus far.

Some of you may know me or have met me around town. I feel like I know most of you and I have enjoyed following all of you on your journey's through the years. I've watched while many of you have flourished in blogging, designing books, writing patterns, and many of you now even have your own fabric lines and businesses.  I am always in awe of the talented women who exist in the quilting community and have been so inspired by your work!! 

I'm here to admit that it's been well over a year since I've actually made any kind of blog post but, I'm happy to say it was like riding a bike when I opened this page to write and upload the pictures.

Some of you wonder why it's taken me so long to jump back in and I can't promise that I will be making lots of blog posts like I have in the past. Life has just taken a turn in a different direction and my focus in life has changed somewhat. First off, we moved to Florida 6 months ago and it's been a year since my husband was let go from is job of nearly 20 years. To keep it short. . . it's been a life changer. . . and it's been a hard change at times but it's been a marvelous opportunity to grow and increase our faith, our commitment, our devotion to our ( LDS) Church, and to deepen our family ties!! Our little family is now spread from Utah, to Florida, and extends to New Zealand. 

I'm posting pictures of both of the blocks I've made so far. . .   



This is October's Maple Leaf Block that
I finished a couple of days ago for Shari Butler.

I enjoyed the simplicity and ease of making this block. I loved sewing with the linen fabric and it works so well with the cotton prints. I look forward to seeing pictures of the finished quilt!!



This is September's Camping Themed Block that
I finished and sent off to Melissa Corry last month.

I enjoyed the creative license that Melissa gave us to create what is going to be a very unique and fun quilt for her grandparents. I can't wait to see it finished with all of the blocks together.



Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. Even though we haven't met, I feel like I know you Kim, from the blog world :) I adore your little hammock block that you made for Melissa! Even though you're away from your children in Florida, at least you have your youngest to keep the home happy and bright! The area that you live in is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cynthia. It's been fun to get to know you too through social media. When I visit Utah next Spring the Bees Knees Quilt Group will have to get together for lunch. If not then at least maybe we can meet up somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't get over how cute that block is Kim. I just keep going downstairs to look at it ;) I can't wait to put it into the quilt ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Melissa! I was hoping you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun to get caught up on your life from the last few years Kim :) I didn't realize you had moved to Florida! Sometimes these life changes can work out for the best (trust me: been there, done that) We absolutely love Arizona now that we are here. And your quilt block is darling. I'm excited to have you as part of our Bees Knees.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Nedra. It's been a very long time indeed. It's been fun keep up with you on your blog and on instagram.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so love my block! Thank you for getting back to blogging and sharing a bit of your history!

    ReplyDelete